You think you know me?

My photo
portland, or
I enjoy writing about what I see. I enjoy seeing changes in fashion everyday. We as people are not only evolving in life, but our fashion is following the evolution. I enjoy painting when time allows. I also enjoy my two dogs that keep me on my toes at all times. Watch out when you have a wine glass near them, they are winos. Where did they get that from?? Who knows.

09 August 2010

invent your own antique

     

      One of my favorite styles, is now something seemingly popular. The new phenomenon of reuse, recycle, shabby chic, and economy friendly shopping style. This is a practice savvy shoppers have realized along time ago. They realized that if you want to shop as much as possible, and feed your addiction, this is the way to go. Turn those old unwanted pieces, into something new, and fabulous. Take the unwanted, and invent your own antique style.
       I have spent many of my days bent over the rummage bin, hunting for those diamonds in the rough. Relishing the joy of the hunt, as much as the pride of a great find. Adding to the fun of the searching, there is the great challenge of integrating the item into the existing wardrobe.
      To add a vintage, or thrift find to your label brands often will bring a new life to your closet. There is something so great about an item that has lived. There is a past to it. There is structure, and style that can not be found in present time. No matter how much effort is put into recreating a vintage feel into new pieces, it just does not have the same feeling, and quality. There is nothing like the real thing.
      In a time where the economy has effected all of us in different ways, it is interesting how evolution has changed shoppers. It has forced the consumers to open their eyes, to the opportunities outside of the department store. The change in the community has created a trend to be money savvy, as well as fashionable. It molded a new group of people to value the old, and reuse anything you can.
     You may be a thrift shopper, vintage huntress, or an expert in refurbishing. No matter what your angle is in the process, you are inventing your own unique antique style.

No comments:

Post a Comment